Required Education Level:
Job Title: Academic Dean
The Academic Dean guides leadership decisions for all curricular programs at American College of Education serving online students. This position articulates the college vision and ensures the delivery of quality student experiences to enhance personal and professional skills by supporting the core values of the college. Through continued growth, monitoring and development of the programs, the Academic Dean provides direction, instilling a strong ethical commitment to excellence, modeling lifelong studies and the value of online education. The Academic Dean provides focus for program disciplines, technology and delivery of content, supports faculty and student issues, guides management and evaluations, and execution of duties assigned, responding to institutional needs by accomplishing the following responsibilities: leadership, supervision of resources, program initiatives, and compliance with institutional policies and procedures. The Academic Dean reports directly to the Provost or President.
Role and Responsibilities:
The Academic Dean is charged with creating and maintaining an open, collaborative, collegial, transparent and inclusive college setting dedicated to enhancing student scholarship, achievement and success.
- Provides administrative oversight, strategic leadership of academic programs and all aspects related to curricular choices and facilitation of programs and courses.
- Acts as the liaison between the college and accrediting bodies and other regulatory agencies regarding academic matters.
- Represents programs at both internal and external venues, including various institutional functions, state and national meetings, and other events determined by the Provost or President.
- Coordinates and directs academic departments within the college to ensure relevant and timely program development and review as an aspect of continuous improvement.
- Supports American College of Education leadership in establishing goals, strategic planning, and reporting at the institutional and program levels.
- Establishes and maintains viable infrastructures to manage controlled growth, including professional development, faculty scheduling, and committees.
- Models appropriate collaborative endeavors, nurturing relationships across departments and programs to promote consistency and stability in an ethical manner.
- Communicates, as needed, with internal and external constituencies to support the mission of the institution.
- Serve as Chair for the Academic Council and support other College committees.
- Supports other leadership initiatives as assigned by the Provost or President of the College.
Supervision of Resources:
- In conjunction with designated leadership, supports faculty selection, development, and mentoring by guiding leadership at the department and program levels, and conducting annual evaluations of key personnel within the Office of the Academic Dean.
- Ensures fiscal responsibility of human and financial resources by reviewing and authorizing expenditures for faculty, program development and other budgetary concerns.
- Explore and establish priorities for resources to support faculty development and program initiatives.
- Strengthen the college’s capacity to engage in an active research or creative agenda by developing and expanding new enterprises across all programs.
- Coordinate academic program reviews and work with departments and offices to ensure continuous improvement.
- Build on existing programs, expanding and improving offerings and initiating new strategies for student experiences.
- Foster innovative and creative options for learning.
- Work cooperatively with various departments to deliver effective, quality online instruction in compliance with the mission and vision of the institution.
- Ensures academic policies, processes, and procedures align, and ensure compliance with regulatory statues and accreditation requirements.
- Support program plans and expectations across the college by aligning mission and vision, determining the impact of institutional policies and procedures.
- Monitor state and federal regulatory requirements to adjust program requirements to meet changes in standards.
- Review, report, and help regulate decisions related to accreditation, serving as a resource for program development and maintenance.
- Guide assessment of programs.
- Demonstrates self-reliance by meeting/exceeding workflow needs.
- Follows established processes as outlined by the Provost and/or President.
- Consistently produces a high volume of quality work.
- Capable, and adapts as needed, to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Proven leadership in establishing a positive climate of engagement in higher education with remote leadership experience preferred.
- Demonstrated experience with a wide range of disciplines and degree programs at various levels, including professionally accredited and licensure programs.
- Interpret and write analyses of sophisticated educational research documents.
- Current knowledge of leadership principles and techniques, demonstrating lifelong learning skills.
- Capacity to integrate research, teaching, and service within the institutional structure, adhering to the culture of American College of Education.
- Competent to manage multiple tasks, under various deadlines, in fast-paced environment with the ability to excel in an environment of quick growth, embracing change and progressive collaboration.
- Skill in using Microsoft Office Suite applications proficiently.
- Ability to use or learn how to use appropriate technology, include conferencing and learning management systems.
- Innovative and strategic thinker, record of decision-making, planning, and problem solving capacity.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills along with interpersonal ability to represent the college to prospective or current students and faculty, external organizations, and other stakeholders.
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- Earned terminal degree in a field associated with higher education.
- 10+ years’ experience in teaching, leadership, and administration in a formal educational setting using both traditional and non-traditional teaching formats, higher education strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully developing collegial relationships in an online/virtual environment.
- 1+ year experience as an online faculty member at ACE preferred.
- Experience working with state boards, commissions of education or regional accrediting agencies preferred.
- Evidence of professional research and/or creative endeavors and expertise in the field.
- Proficient in Microsoft products such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Willing to work in an online environment and to respond to emails within 24 hours.
- Ability to travel as required.
The physical demand described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to perform work consistent with an online, virtual environment.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
American College of Education seeks to attract and retain a diverse staff consistent with its diverse student body and surrounding communities.
ACE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.