Required Education Level:
Job Title: Chair, Nursing
The Department Chair of Nursing provides executive leadership over the Nursing department, which includes one or more programs serving online graduate students. This Department Chair of Nursing articulates the college vision for the continued growth and development of the nursing department and shares a strong commitment to progressive graduate, and online education responding to the direction of the Academic Dean. As chief representative of the academic program, this role is responsible for the development and execution of duties in the following areas: administrative oversight, leadership, and supervision of resources and program initiatives. Primary responsibilities of the chair include: 1) Recruiting, selecting, mentoring, and evaluating course faculty for the department; 2) Leading program development and growth including active involvement in student enrollment, retention, and satisfaction; 3) Exercising full administrative responsibility for the program including reporting and accreditation success while participating in department and organization committees to maintain and increase program strength and efficiency; 4) Collaborating with the Office of Academic Excellence and Student Services to respond to student issues; and 5) Serving as an administrative faculty member teaching courses as needed.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Compiles performance reports, provides program information and evaluates program effectiveness.
- Assists in the development of policies, procedures and guidelines of the program and institution.
- Represents, promotes, and supports faculty and the overall department to relevant internal and external audiences.
- Explains organizational decisions to faculty while maintaining a positive, healthy work environment.
- Develops and interacts with potential partnerships to support enrollment growth.
- Provides opportunities for student success by being available to adjudicate student appeals expeditiously.
- Provides programs for non-academic student support services with the objective of maximizing student success.
- Responds in a timely manner to student concerns and issues.
- Recruits, selects, trains and provides oversight and leadership to academic personnel.
- Ensures that both faculty and academic management are hired with the appropriate credentials, knowledge, skill, and experience to meet the needs of the academic program.
- Serve as a mentor to adjunct professors by providing opportunities for professional development, online instructional delivery skills, channels skills for resolving issues, and provides advice and information to ensure their professional success and retention.
- Assigns courses and monitors faculty performance, and conducts faculty assessments in accordance with faculty contract and organizational guidelines.
- Encourages, motivates and inspires faculty to greater levels of excellence.
- Provides content leadership for new programs and courses; reviewing and approving courses developed by course authors.
- Reviews enrollment, retention and student satisfaction metrics to ensure program growth and success and develops strategy to meet and exceed organizational student retention and satisfaction goals.
- Models successful online teaching and research methods for adjunct faculty, other program staff and students.
- Supports the college when needed as a faculty member.
- Maintains a professional and technical knowledge of the curricula and industry by participating in leading edge educational workshops/seminars, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies. This includes maintaining a deep knowledge of emerging issues and trends related to the department.
- Ensures the quality of program and course offerings by supporting and promoting research.
- Demonstrates self-reliance by meeting/exceeding workflow needs.
- Follows established processes as outlined by the Academic Dean or President.
- Completes assigned duties based on daily business needs and individual skill set.
- Consistently produces a high volume of quality work.
- Capable, and adapts as needed, to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Proven ability to work independently with limited supervision and with other department personnel.
- Must be "self-motivated" as well as creative and efficient in proposing solutions to complex, time-critical problems.
- Must be collaborative in driving decisions and a team-player.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills with a high attention to detail.
- Builds and maintains student satisfaction.
- Recognizes and anticipates student needs.
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- Terminal degree in nursing from accredited institution required.
- Current unencumbered licensure as a registered nurse (RN) required or a multi-state licensure privilege to practice nursing in the state of Indiana.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience required in the practice of nursing as a registered nurse, two of which have been as a faculty member in a professional nursing education program/or higher education administration.
- 5+ years’ experience in teaching and leadership in a formal educational setting using both traditional and non-traditional teaching formats; higher education strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully developing faculty relationships in an online/virtual environment.
- Experience working with state boards, commissions of education or regional accrediting agencies preferred.
- Evidence of professional research and/or creative endeavors and expertise in the field.
- Proven leadership in higher education, remote leadership experience preferred.
- Ability to interpret and write analyses of sophisticated educational research documents.
- Current knowledge of leadership principles and techniques.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, under various deadlines, in a fast-paced environment with the ability to excel in an environment of quick growth, embracing change and progressive collaboration.
- Ability to travel as required.
- Skill in using Microsoft Office Suite applications proficiently.
- Ability to use or learn how to use appropriate technology, include conferencing and learning management systems.
The physical demand described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to perform work consistent with an online, virtual environment.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
American College of Education seeks to attract and retain a diverse staff consistent with its diverse student body and surrounding communities.
ACE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.